Thursday, August 8, 2013

IVF Egg retrieval day @ Hong Kong Sanatorium Hospital

8th August 2013 (thurs)

Here comes the first verdict day, to determine how many eggs can be retrieved from my follicles. I am trying to keep my expectation down because I have no idea how my ovaries react to the stimulation drugs, the number of "eggs" left, and more importantly, how many eggs are viable.

The advantage of the drugs, esg Hcg drugs make me sleepy easily and hence I didnt have to worry abput excitement keeping me up. I slept through though I did wake up before my alarm went off at 7am.

The hospital is a short 15mins walk away from home, so my target was to leave by 7.35am latest. I did some stretching, had a short warm shower while my husband had his breakfast. However, I was cautious NOT to use any scented shower gel, facial wash and skip my skincare regime completely. I rem reading in various article that the eggs and embryo are sensitive the chemical scent and may affect the quality. Better to be safe than sorry.

My mood was light and happy, with quite a few laughs along the way strolling with my man. We arrived punctually, signed a few documents and it was time to get changed. My man was supposed to provide his fresh sperm sample and he was deliberating if he should go before I start my op, or after I started my op. Seeing no reason for him to stick around, I told him to go ahead since he still have to run groceries errand to cook lunch later.

We asked the nurse as to what time he should be back. She said I prob will be asleep for 1 hour after the 20mins op if all goes well. So his timeline was to be back by 10.30am.

As he went off to get his "boys" squirted out, I went to have my pee sample ready for my nurse. Afterwhich, I sat on the bed, looking out of the window thanking god for a beautiful morning.

The nurse came to do her stuff and I told her to prepare lotsa of warm blanket later because I will be cold. I told her I always feel cold after waking from G.A.

By 8.30am, the anesthesiologist came by and introduced herself as Dr Fung. She was nice, asking if I know what op I am going to have. (It's SOP in this hospital to keep repeatedly ask the patient the same questions) She told me it will be easy op but I may feel a little nausea after the op but I have nothing to worry.

Having read soooooooo much horror stories about OHSS after egg retrieval online, I asked her about the possible cramp etc. She told me not to worry and it's not common. Ok. If u say so.

By 8.50am, the nurse came to get me and we walked to the op room. At the entrance, there was this blue floor map and for some reason, it was sticky and my slippers got stuck on it! Lol! The nurse and I started laughing and we started joking about it.

Meanwhile, they had me climbed up the bed and the attentive nurse suggested to unbutton the top button since it was yanking on my neck.

They had me lay down, legs placed on this legs holder. They asked me if I was comfortable and if there was any pain. I frankly told them the left holder was pressing against my calf too much and it was mildly uncomfortable.The nurse quickly adjusted the holder and all was good again.

By 9am, Dr Ingrid came in cheery and I greeted her happily too. She asked how I was feeling and I replied all was good. I jokingly told her that "My future now lies in your hands". She laughed and said "such pressure" Lol.

While Dr Ingrid was jotting down some stuff, Dr Fung told me it was time to get me ready for the anesthesia. I had this oxygen thing stuck at the entrance of my nose, while she jabbed my left hand. Ok the first instance was first but once the drug gets pumped in, it was OUCH.

I was like "Oh that hurts". Dr Fung said not to worry it will pass and some other patients have it worse, saying it felt like their hand was on fire. Ok, I didnt have that so I figured I should stop describing the sensation. Then it hit my head and started to feel dizzy. I asked her if it was normal, she said yes and that was the last I remembered.

***************************************************

I awoke to someone calling my name. It was like waking from a deep sleep and you wished the person had let you slept on. I vaguely thought I heard her told me the number of eggs collected but I figured I must have misheard. My mind wasnt clear yet. However, first thing I requested was for the nurse to adjust my flat bed to semi inclined position. I have always hated lying flat after GA because it makes me more ill. However, the other reason was because I read somewhere from forum that in event that there are accumulated leaking water from ovaries, it is better to sit up to prevent the water from flowing upwards to the diaphragm from the abdominal cavity.  It's the help keep any possible fluid down as much as possible.

The first thing I did was to grab my mobile from the safe next to me. Ok, it was frankly quite a stretch but oh well, I didnt topple. I texted my man and told him I was out of the op and awake. I had prepped him in the morning to bring me my water heat pack. It took me 3 tries before I could send a proper text without all the typo. Yes, every word had misspelling.

I looked at the time and realised it was only 9.50am! SO much for the sleeping for 1 hour. My husband quickly replied ok but he was still in the supermart! I told him to hurry because I am REALLY COLD, despite the 4 layers of warm blanket. The nurse came over to check on me and I told her I am cold. She exclaimed I already had a lot of warm blankets and I touched her with my cold hands. She immediately got me another warm blanket. I too asked her for warm drink but she was reluctant to give me because she said most patients will puke. I told her, NO, just give me because I AM DYING OF THIRST. So she gave me a cup and i gulped it down fine.

Other than that, I was honestly thankful I didnt feel anything else. I am expecting cramps, headache, bloated feeling and nausea but I am very lucky not to experience that. I wasnt even groggy by 10am so I just took my phone, played some music while i played my "Pet Rescue" game waiting for my man. Not too bad, cleared 2 levels and reached level 136.

By 10.10am, my man arrived with my heat pack! YEAH!!! Instantly warmed my hands and chest up and I felt even more awake and alert. My man asked if I was ok and I gave him the victory sign. It was quite funny because none of us rem to ask the nurse how many eggs we have got. Instead, I told the nurse I desperately NEED TO PEE. Again the nurse looked kinda stunned because she mentioned its too early for me to get out of bed...but she asked if I was feeling fine and really urgent, to which I replied YES to both. She told me to give her a few mins before coming back to get me.

My husband helped me up. Ok, first 10 seconds, my head needed some adjustment to find my balance. After that, I shuffled to the toilet and saw the nurse had prep the toilet seat with a pee measurement basin to check the volume output. I peed like there was no tomorrow and it was a lot. I flushed the seat paper away and opened the door, the nurse was standing outside and checked the pee basin. She said "Wow! That's alot of pee indeed!" Lol. At least this declared I have passed stage 1 since I am urinating normally.

Getting back to the bed, I drank alot more water.  I was busy drinking water like a camel and I must have drank like 10 cups. I was really thirsty. I chatted with my man for a while and it was only an hour later that I rem to ask my husband to find out the number of eggs. He went out and came back with an incredulous smile.

"You are a mother hen love! You have got 18 eggs!" Wow!

I am pleasantly surprised. I only expected 10 or so given my age at 38 and I have PCOS. However I told my man not to be too happy because my quality of eggs is yet to be determined. Not sure how many will fertilised or any abnormal ones.

Opposite us (thru 2 the curtains drawn), we overheard the nurse telling the lady they retrieved 4 eggs and something about freezing them for next round. My husband was whispering is that bad, I told him not necessarily because maybe all she need is one good egg and maybe she have 4 mature good quality eggs whereas I may be over stimulated with lesser quality eggs.

My lunch arrived and I had wintermelon soup since the nurse insisted I shouldnt have porridge even though I was famished. Sigh. I polished off everything in a flash.

The nurses came back to measure my blood pressure, and gave me a jab to my hip butt area. Ok I know that is gonna bruise because I saw a lot of blood. Sigh.

By 12pm, I was all alert and ready to go back. I got changed, my man went to make payment. I got my meds such as estroferm and the vaginal insert gel for thickening my lining I think. All medication starts tomorrow. The nurse told me to eat 4 egg whites daily, avoid herbs and chinese "blood nourishing" stuff including ginger and red dates. What?! No red dates? Instead, I'm supposed to drink milk and eat high protein food.

I got home by 12.45pm and my man started to make his chicken sandwich. I was still starving and requested for half sandwich. When I finished my chicken avocado sandwich with caramelised onion, I was still hungry so I asked for another WHOLE sandwich. Afterwhich, I am full and contented and drank half gatorade before sleeping.

I slept like a baby and dinner was ready by 6.30pm, my glorious chicken mushroom carrot soup. Apart from my tummy feeling slightly tight from over eating, I was fine. No pain thankfully and I went to weigh myself. I was 53.8kg after dinner and water intake. Ok. My waist was about 83cm. Ok, I think I am about 2 cm bigger than usual and slightly heavier than normal.

I did some stretching since I am still recovering from a bad back. I actually felt less bloated after stretching. Happy!

I went back to sleep by 12am. Day is finally over and celebrating my jab free day!




No comments:

Post a Comment